Man on the street interview on contraception

October 12, 2017


I wrote this journal for my human sexuality class at SLCC but I thought I would add it to the blog as well for memories. Enjoy! 




For this essay I decided to interview other fellow students, family members, and friends. It was very interesting to find out the results to some of the questions I asked. The following questions are what I chose to use:

·       What do you know about Plan-B?
·       When it comes to contraception’s, what methods are you familiar with?
·       Would you get a sterilization if you were done having children?


For the first question I found out that about 60% people of the people I asked knew exactly what I was talking about, while the other 40% were actually about how the pill worked. There was a person that asked me if it was 3 birth controls put together in one. Someone else told me that they weren’t sure how to use it and if it had an expiration date from when the sexual intercourse happened. A surprisingly discovery was that about 75% of the people I interviewed didn’t know they could buy Plan-B at their local drug stores.

For the second question things got a little interesting. There was a gender difference when it came to answering this. The women asked this question talked about birth control, condoms, and abstinence. While the men discussed the “pull out” method. A lot of them said that if the woman is on birth control then they should be safe, after I mentioned STD’s they started to get concerned. I talked about how important it was for them to take to their partners about it and make sure to wear protection.

The last question was the most heated of all topics due to disagreement between both genders. Ladies didn’t feel like it was fair for them to tie their tubes, some of them felt like it wasn’t as safe as a men getting a vasectomy and that they shouldn’t go through all that pain. While the men surprisingly agreed with it their answers saying that they would for sure get it done with children was not a plan. Some of them were afraid about all the pain and losing their manhood.

Overall this was a great experience, I think that a lot of people are afraid to talk about certain topics nowadays. They are usually either embarrassed or afraid of sounding na├»ve. It always goes back to STD’s they are afraid of getting it and talking about it. The book also mentions the female condom and how they are now approved by the FDA, where to buy it, and how to use it. (pg. 300. 2017). I found this very interesting because not a lot of women know about this option. Out of the 15 people I interviewed only one person mentioned it. There needs to be more awareness everywhere when it comes to contraception.


Works Cited
Knox, D., & Milstein, S. (2017). Human Sexuality: Making Informed Decisions (5th ed.) [with Salt Lake Community College supplement]. Redding, CA: BVT Publishing.

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Nina Talks. Design by FCD.